Today’s post was written by Lori Wright, general manager for Microsoft Teams.
Since Microsoft Teams became generally available six months ago, more than 125,000 organizations have discovered how teamwork comes to life in Teams. Today, Teams is getting even better with the rollout of guest access to all Office 365 commercial and education customers. Now Office 365 users can add people from outside their company to a team, so guests can participate in chats, join meetings, collaborate on documents, and more. We also announced new developer tools for Teams, which you can read more about over on the Office Dev blog.
Guest access has been one of the top requested features for Teams among our customers, and we’ve been working hard to get it right. We designed guest access in Teams with three principles at the forefront:
Teamwork—Teams come in all shapes and sizes, and you need to be able to easily communicate and share with others you want to work with, including people outside your organization. Beginning today, anyone with an Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) account can be added as a guest in Teams. That means anyone with one of the more than 870 million user accounts—across Microsoft commercial cloud services and third-party Azure AD integrated apps—can be added as a guest in Teams. Later, we’ll add the ability for anyone with a Microsoft Account (MSA) to be added as a guest in Teams. If the guest doesn’t have an existing MSA, they will be directed to create a free account using their current corporate or consumer email address, such as Outlook.com or Gmail.com.
Security and compliance—Customers have told us they expect guest access in Teams to provide enterprise-grade security and compliance assurances. In Teams, guest accounts are added and securely managed within Azure AD through Azure AD B2B Collaboration. This enables enterprise-grade security, like conditional access policies for guest user access. Azure AD also uses adaptive machine learning algorithms and heuristics to detect anomalies and suspicious incidents, enabling mitigation or remediation actions, such as multi-factor authentication, to be triggered as appropriate. In addition, with Azure AD, IT departments have unparalleled insight into the activities of external users in their organization through detailed sign-in and access reports. Guest user content and activities are under the same compliance and auditing protection as the rest of Office 365.
IT manageability—Guest access in Teams comes with the ability for IT to centrally manage how guests participate within their Office 365 environment, providing consistency across application experiences in Office 365. IT admins can quickly and easily view, add, or revoke a guest’s access to the host tenant.
Published at Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:00:08 +0000
- Build-A-Bear turns to Microsoft 365 to empower employees and drive competitive advantage - May 14, 2018
- Microsoft 365 empowers developers to build intelligent apps for where and how the world works - May 14, 2018
- TalkTalk Telecom Group outthinks the competition by empowering employees with Microsoft 365 Enterprise - January 21, 2018
- MEDNAX enhances patient-centric healthcare with highly secure cloud services from Microsoft 365 - January 21, 2018
- Health IT innovator Cerner enhances workplace productivity and collaboration with Office 365 - October 5, 2017
- Expand your collaboration with guest access in Microsoft Teams - October 3, 2017
- Health IT innovator Cerner enhances workplace productivity and collaboration with Office 365 - September 29, 2017
- Your favorite apps—now in Outlook on Android - September 26, 2017
- Your favorite apps—now in Outlook on Android - September 25, 2017
- Your favorite apps—now in Outlook on Android - September 23, 2017